This program is designed for motivated undergraduate students from groups that have been shown by the National Science Foundation (NSF) to be underrepresented in health sciences on a national basis and who are interested in seeking future training in a combined MD/PhD program or an academically oriented career in medicine.
Please see the NSF Guidelines: http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/wmpd/.
- Principal focus is an 8-week research project conducted in the laboratory of a faculty member in the biomedical sciences
- Weekly seminars
- A physician-scientist clinical shadowing experience
- Career development seminars
- Presentation of your work at the UCSD Summer Research Conference
- Stipend for the eight-week period - $1600/month
- Includes room (not board)
- $500 Travel allowance for transportation to and from San Diego
Click here to download the 2013 SURF Program flyer.
Please visit the FAQ page for additional information about the SURF Program.